88% of consumers are less likely to return to a site after a bad experience*
In order to deliver a great online user experience for all your website visitors, it's vital you understand who they are, what they want to achieve when they land on your site and most importantly, why they behave the way they do. This process is carried out at Unified Digital Solutions during our 'Discovery' phase, a vital component of all our web development projects.
With over 20 years experience in designing and building award winning websites we've built up quite a knowledge bank when it comes to what can make or break a website in terms of its navigation. Here's some of our top do's and don't:
- Ensure consistent navigation across the entire site
- Have an obvious way to access the navigation menu and divide categories clearly
- Ensure all navigational elements on the website are linked - make sure these links stand out
- Keep navigation labels specific, no more than two - three words
- Keep navigation simple with approx five - eight menu options
- Forget to include breadcrumb navigation so your visitor can navigate their way back
- Use words that are trying to be too different such as 'Give us a shout' in stead of 'Contact us'
- Forget the mobile user - show the most frequently used options and hide others under a hamburger menu
- Use horizontal hover - it's much harder to scroll
- Forget to include a search option to help your visitor immediately find what they're looking for
For further information about how to improve the navigation on your website Contact Us today for a chat, one of the team will be happy to help. We also offer a free website audit, so if your website or social media platforms are in need of a revamp here's a good place to start. We'll identify what's working well for you and where improvements can be made.